Saturday, January 21, 2012

My First Day in El Salvador

Right now I'm sitting in the little open air area of the Padre's house in the city of San Salvador. It is sunny and 8:00 central time. My plane arrived yesterday at about 3:00 PM and then the Padre picked me up. We went to a hardware-like store and the Padre bought a pump he needs for the school, which took about 2 hours. Then to his house where Alejandra lives and several other people he is helping for varied reasons. Later that evening we went to a friend of the Padre's house. It turns out the Padre's friend lives in a richer area and has a nice house. Apparently, the owner lives here and in US and has many businesses in California. There was a lot of good food and then a singing/band group consisting of three guitars and an accordion player came in -- they sang and played for about 2 hours.

Interesting place where the Padre's friend lives. Because it is a wealthy area they actually have their own police to guard the area. Each house has a backyard with high cement block walls and sharp wire at the top. No one parks their cars on the street. The garages are in the front on all of the houses and all have garage doors on them. I didn't feel insecure here but it is different. Where the Padre lives is more like a middle class area. Again all the front doors are locked and made of steel and the kids play in the this open area I told you about.

Today we go to Aqua Caliente and to a town called La Laguna. I think we stay there tonight, but do not know for sure. So far so good but I feel way out of my comfort zone. I've been trying to speak a little Spanish but am no where near able to carry on a conversation.

No comments:

Post a Comment