Friday, February 24, 2012

Hello from EL Salvador.  I am currently in the school where I am trying to teach English to the children.  It is far more difficult than I thought it would me.  The best thing that happened was that the Padre had hired an English teacher.  I am therefore the person that is supposed to help her in the ways to each the students.  Her name is Fatima.  She graduated in El Salvador with a degree in English.  Her English is quite good.  She is about 25 and very nice.  She really wants to do a good job.  She is being paid about $400.00 a month.  That is a pretty good salary here.  She lives in Aqua Caliente where she was born.  She lives with her father.  The two of them run a little dry goods store.  This is just one of many kinds of stores in town.  It seems to be the major way people survive there. There are 7 grades at the school which has about 150 students now and growing.  She is responsible for teaching each grade 3 times a week for about an hour.  I think this would be hard for any teacher to have seven different levels to prepare for.  Fatima is trying very hard.  The critical need for her is an understanding of how to teach and how to put a curriculum together.  I so wish I was a trained teacher now. That would be my most important goal and that is to train her on how to teach.  It is one thing to teach the kids English and still another for someone to come down here and teach the teachers.  I really do not know much about the methods used by the other teachers but if if is like Fatima they are one their own .  Some appear to be good but I do not know for sure since my Spanish is still lousy.  If anyone said you can learn a language by just listening to it is crazy.  I have been here about one and one-half weeks and I do not think I have improved much Also the spoken word is so much harder than the written one since you can see and take your time reading a sentence.


No comments:

Post a Comment